Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who Need Tonsils and Adenoids Anyway?

Liam finally got his tonsils and adenoids out last week as well as getting new tubes in his ears. He ended up having to stay for two nights because he kept struggling to keep his oxygen levels up, and that kind of thing totally freaks doctors and nurses out. They come running and shove oxygen up your nose right away if you drop below 88% oxygen level at any point. So jumpy, aren't they? Lol!

So far, I'd say he's doing okay. He has been VERY irritable and tired, and spent a couple of days refusing to eat or drink. I was worried that he'd have to go back for IV fluids, but apparently I did a pretty good job keeping him hydrated. Shocking! We appear to finally be over that hump now, and look forward to seeing what having clear ears and no longer having them blocked by tonsils and adenoids does for hearing. The doctor suspects that we may have bought him 20-30 db of hearing. I'm a little skeptical of it being quite that high, but anything is possible, right?

Anyway, I will be sure to continue to update as we get further hearing results in and complete our follow-up visit with the doctor. For now, I'm just enjoying the fact that he is super cuddly because he doesn't feel that hot. He's usually running non-stop, so having him slow down just the tiniest bit is a little bit of a treat. I know. Delighting in my child's discomfort makes me some sort of Mean Mother of the Year. I'm okay with that. Snuggle time is worth it! And besides, who needs tonsils and adenoids anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment