Sunday, November 8, 2009

Yucky Adhesive




I'm pleased to announce that Little Guy has been home for three full days now, and his sats have remained where they should be. I couldn't be happier about that.

One little problem we keep running into is the adhesive that holds his canula in place. If I use stuff that is really subtle, he pulls it right off and it tears up his skin horribly. The poor kid just bleeds and bleeds. You can see the sore spots on his face in the pictures. The stuff that is more gentle on his skin is just plain ugly. It's just big and clunky and yellowy-looking.

I've included pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Without adhesive, he takes off his oxygen right away. Surely there is a solution out there somewhere. And, yes. I do realize his canula is a little bit low in these pics. That is yet another battle we fight daily.

Tomorrow, we will go with Ms. Kristi to conquor the challenge of setting his hearing aids to the maximum benefit. It's much easier to do with regular ABR testing. But, since he can't have the sedation for the test, we don't really know how far his hearing loss has progressed.

Such is life, I guess. Two steps forward and one step back. I can't complain. I think I'd be bored any other way.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh- there has to be a better adhesive out there somewhere! The only adhesive tape I've used is toupee tape (double sided) for keeping hearing aids in place.

    I wish you guys lived closer to Buffalo- Buffalo Hearing and Speech Center has ABR equipment that doesn't require sedation (Vivosonic makes it). It is great equipment- the kids can watch a video or play with toys while the tracings are being recorded: http://www.vivosonic.com/

    I wonder if there is an audiology center near you that has it? Hopefully Little Guy will be old enough for booth testing in a little while.

    ReplyDelete