Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Great Article on the Cultural Changes Brought About by Cochlear Implants

 This was a news story that someone else shared on Facebook.  It illustrates what I've been saying for a long time now about the changes that are coming to the Deaf community because of cochlear implants. Not everyone is happy to see these changes as more and more medical miracles emerge, but I am so grateful to see these things happening.  Cochlear implants have given CJ and Liam a fighting chance at being anything they want to be.  I've never allowed my boys to use their hearing loss as a crutch or an excuse for not being able to do something, but it's wonderful to have the cochlear implants as a tool to be able to do so much more.  I'm interested to see the comments and input from others as they read this particular news story. Some, like the AFA for example, will be upset by it. Others will find hope in it.  Either way, it's worth discussing. I think.

One thing I did notice was the price tag listed for the implants and the surgery.  The article quotes a price that is less than half what CJ or Liam's devices cost us.  That's not so much up for debate, but I wanted to acknowledge it anyway.  Happy reading!!!

1 comment: